The words “eco-friendly”, “environmentally friendly”, “green”, “organic” and “natural” seem to be popping up everywhere these days — on our food labels, our product packaging, even on the clothes we buy. But have you ever stopped to think about what these terms actually mean, and how buying “eco-friendly” products can really impact you, and the environment around you?
Eco friendly products are those that are designed or produced with little or no damaging effect to the environment, and contribute to green living or earth-friendly practices that help to conserve natural resources, like water or energy.
How does a product qualify as eco-friendly?
Eco-friendly products keep both the environment and human safety front of mind. Products should be non-toxic, biodegradable, include the use of sustainably grown or raised ingredients, or be made from recycled or biodegradable materials.
For example, enzymes are a natural part of our world and are found as a natural catalyst in every living organism. Each enzyme accelerates a specific reaction, and some of the most useful ones can be used to break apart insoluble organics, such as fats and oils, making them water-soluble. Enzymes are safe, powerful and cost-effective cleaning agents, and they are completely environmentally friendly. By using enzymes as a base for cleaning products, instead of chemicals, we can still maintain high cleaning standards while preserving the current and future environment.
How can you be eco-friendly in your everyday life?
There are many ways to develop “green” habits in your personal and professional everyday life. Here are some environmentally-conscious ways to get started:
- Switch from chemical cleaning agents (which can negatively affect your health, as well as the environment) to eco-friendly products
- Conserve energy by turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use
- Invest in eco-friendly technology, like the Nest thermostat, which is ENERGY STAR certified and learns your schedule to turn the temperature into “eco mode” when you’re not in the house (which can also help you save on your next monthly bill!)
- Compost your food waste, preventing it from ending up in the landfill
- Use your compost as a natural fertilizer to grow your own vegetable garden
- Switch from plastic grocery bags to reuseable
- Cut down on meat and stock up on local and organic vegetables
- Bring a reusable travel mug to your daily coffee shop instead of using disposable coffee cups (6 billion Starbucks cups end up in the landfill each year!)
- Recycle everything from glass to plastics to batteries to clothing (did you know H&M offers a clothing recycling program?)
- Bike, walk or use public transit vs. a car if you can
- Switch lightbulbs in your home to LED — which last longer and are more efficient to use
These are just a few of the easiest ways for you to immediately reduce your carbon footprint, but for more tips and guides on living an eco-friendly life, check some other great resources through Friends of the Earth or Green Living.
Natura Solutions Ltd. is an industry leading manufacturer of environmentally friendly, enzyme-based products. Our products are FDA and Health Canada approved, and meet US EPA Safe Product Standards. To learn more, check out our range of professional and personal products for use commercially, or at home.